Westover Hills Dermatology, located in San Antonio, Texas, is your preferred provider for mole removal. Contact us today for more immediate assistance and our friendly, professional team will be happy to help you.
What Are Moles?
Moles are also referred to as nevi in the plural, or nevus in the singular. They are very common, and if you’re like almost all other adults, you have at least a few. The lighter the shade of your skin, the more moles you are likely to have. If you are among those with the palest skin, you may have up to 40 or 50 benign, harmless moles. This is completely normal.
Childhood and teenage years are when moles tend to make their first appearance. They will often grow over the course of your life. Color will change, and not just in one direction; some will grow lighter over time, while some will grow darker. Again, these changes are typical and expected and rarely a sign of a medical issue requiring attention.
However, moles can be cancerous and a sign of the most dangerous kind of skin cancer, melanoma. Frequent and complete dermatological exams are crucial as if melanoma is caught early, it is highly treatable, but if ignored, can be life-threatening.
If you notice any of the following, get an immediate examination:
- A significant change to an existing mole
- A notable new mole
- A mole that’s bleeding, growing, or itching
Should I Have Mole Removal?
The vast majority of moles are harmless and do not require removal, but a dermatologist can remove a mole that:
- Is uncomfortable to live with on a daily basis (in a spot that chafes against clothing, for example)
- A client finds unsightly
- Appears suspicious and may be cancerous
What is the Mole Removal Procedure Like?
Mole removal is a simple procedure that usually requires a single visit. There are two common modes of removal:
- Surgical excision: If a mole is of a certain size and/or extends below the epidermis somewhat, a dermatologist will cut out the mole in its entirety under local anesthesia.
- Surgical shave: If a mole is on the surface of the skin and does not extend to a significant depth below the epidermis, a surgical blade can be used to shave the mole off, under local anesthesia.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
Westover Hills Dermatology is San Antonio’s source for mole removal. Contact us to ask questions or schedule your initial consultation, and our courteous, expert staff will help you take the next step toward ensuring your long-term dermatological health. We look forward to your visit to our office!