If you have frequent reddish pimple-like breakouts on your face, you may have a common skin condition called acne rosacea, also referred to as just rosacea. It can be a distressing problem that reduces your self-confidence and makes you feel self-conscious in your personal and professional life. Don’t let rosacea hamper your lifestyle. Westover Hills Dermatology offers you safe, proven and effective treatment options to improve the appearance of your skin.
What is Rosacea?
It is an inflammatory skin condition due to the dilation of blood vessels under the skin. It results in acne-like pimples developing on the face, particularly in the central area. It may be hereditary but is not contagious.
What are the Signs and Symptoms?
Acne rosacea, or rosacea, is a chronic condition characterized by flare-ups and remissions. It usually occurs in adults, but may occasionally be seen in adolescents and children as well. The signs and symptoms of rosacea include the following:
- Prolonged blushing or flushing in the face, particularly around the nose and cheeks
- Visible blood vessels, especially on the central area of the face
- Acne-like bumps on the face
- Swollen cheeks or a ‘bumpy cheek’ appearance
- Bumps on the nose, making it look bulbous
- Burning, stinging or itching sensation
- Watery, irritated eyes with red or swollen eyelids
- Skin thickening
- Dry and flaky or oily facial skin
What Causes Rosacea?
The exact cause is not known, but several factors such as sun exposure, alcohol, skin products, stress, extreme hot or cold climate, and spicy food may trigger an episode of acne rosacea. It occurs more commonly in fair-skinned persons.
How is It Treated?
Various therapies are available to treat rosacea. The right treatment for you will depend on a number of factors and can ultimately be determined during a consultation at our office.
How Can I Take Care of My Skin to Avoid Breakouts?
Effective skin care can minimize the frequency of acne rosacea breakouts. Take a look at a few skin care tips below:
- Avoid using harsh chemicals, scrubs, rough towels or loofahs on your skin
- Use a gentle soap or face wash without exfoliant or fragrance
- Avoid skin care products that contain alcohol, salicylic acid, fragrance, and additives such as menthol and peppermint
- Use the least number of skin care products to avoid skin contact with multiple irritants
Acne rosacea can make you feel helpless. Do not let the condition disturb your peace of mind and self-image. Talk to the experts at Westover Hills Dermatology to get all the facts about your treatment options. Contact us today to book your appointment in San Antonio!